A couple of weeks ago I went to Nashville to visit one of my best friends, Simone, who moved there about a year ago to pursue her music career (y’all should really check her out!). I haven’t seen her in several months, so I was so excited to see her again! Reunited and it felt so good! We always have fun when we get together and this time was no exception.
We went shopping for a bit at Michaels and some thrift shops. We got some ideas for craft projects for both of us, which you will hopefully see on here at some point (I make no promises as to when!). When we were driving around, we also stumbled across a farmer’s market, which was just the best thing ever! They had fruits and veggies galore. It was so nice to see how many people were there buying fresh, locally grown produce. Nothing better than that!
Of course, we ate some delicious meals while I was there made from our finds at the farmer’s market. Simone likes to eat healthy food and is a foodie like me, so the scrumptious eats were to be expected. One night we made these chickpea quinoa burgers with sweet potato buns (with an alcoholic fruit smoothie to wash it down!). Oh my. So good! I was nervous how they were going to turn out since they weren’t sticking together very well, but they were perfect.
Simone had never heard of Whole30 before. While those quinoa burgers weren’t Whole30 compliant, I definitely wanted to make a meal for her that was. Enter this delicious sweet potato hash with cherry compote. Loaded with vegetables, this meal was packed with nutrients, but don’t worry. It was so good. I had to stop myself from licking the plate clean. Who said eating healthy had to be boring?
What you will need:
- 2 large sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup of spinach
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1 cup cherries, pitted and halved
- 1/2 cup of Whole30 compliant apple cider
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper to taste
Now for the fun part:
- Heat two tablespoons of the coconut oil in a medium skillet.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook about two minutes.
- Add the sweet potatoes, bell pepper, zucchini, and mushrooms. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Add a tablespoon of water and place a lid on the skillet and cook until the sweet potatoes are soft.
- Meanwhile, add the cherries, apple cider, and ginger to a saucepan on medium heat. Let it reduce down about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Once the sweet potatoes are cooked through, toss in the spinach and continue to cook the hash until the spinach is wilted. Then remove the hash from the skillet and set aside.
- Heat up the remaining coconut oil in the skillet and fry the two eggs. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Plate the hash and sunny side up egg and drizzle that delicious compote right on top. Enjoy!