It’s almost Thanksgiving, y’all! This has to be one of my favorite holidays mainly because it’s alllll about eating delicious food. As a foodie, how could you not like this holiday?! If you’re a foodie that’s trying to lose weight though, it can be difficult to be surrounded by tempting treats.
I’ve always been of the mindset of eating in moderation, and Thanksgiving is no exception. There’s no way that I will never have a scoop of cheesy mashed potatoes (like my garlic parmesan mashed potatoes that I made for Thanksgiving last year) or a slice of pumpkin pie again. It’s just not reasonable. But I also shouldn’t completely pig out though either. I just need to eat in moderation. It’s all about balancing it out!
To help with my healthy eating for Thanksgiving, I searched for some delicious vegetable side dishes that I could load up on and not feel guilty. Then I stumbled upon this olive oil braised carrots recipe. It’s healthy and has delicious warm spices that just taste like fall. They are wonderful! I brought it to my friends’ house this past weekend for friendsgiving, and the carrots were a hit. The best part is the fact that they are SUPER easy to make. The hardest part is cutting the carrots. No joke. So if you are looking for a last minute, easy recipe for Thanksgiving, I definitely recommend you check out these delicious carrots!
What you will need:
- 1 lb of carrots, peeled and cut at a diagonal
- ½ cup of chicken broth (or vegetable broth if you prefer)
- ¼ cup of olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic, sliced
- 1 tbsp of sage, minced
- ½ tsp of ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp of ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp of salt
- Pinch of ground cayenne
Now for the fun part:
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Layer the carrots and garlic in a casserole dish making sure that they don’t overlap and everything is spread out.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the chicken broth, olive oil, and all of the spices.
- Pour the mixture over the carrots and cover the casserole dish with foil.
- Bake the carrots for 45 minutes or until the carrots are tender. Remove the foil and bake for an additional 15 minutes.